Since 1981 the Senior Companion Program has been providing assistance and friendship to older adults and adults with disabilities to help them remain independent in their own homes at no cost. The Senior Companions also provide Respite for family members who are caregivers. This program serves those that live in only Jackson or Clay Counties.
We recruit, train, and supervise adults 55+ to serve as Senior Companions Volunteers. The Volunteers can serve others in the community as a stipend or non-stipend companion according to the federal financial requirements and receive other benefits throughout the year. Senior Companions provide a minimum of 15 hours a week of valuable service to their clients and their families. Our staff and volunteer Station Supervisors from various agencies/organizations in the greater Kansas City area help monitor the clients and volunteers. The strength of this program is “neighbor helping neighbor.”
GEOGRAPHIC SERVICE AREA
- Jackson and Clay Counties in Missouri
ACTUAL SERVICES OFFERED
- In-home assistance
- Caregiver respite
QUALIFICATIONS TO USE SERVICES
- To be a Companion, you must be age 55+ and meet federal financial requirements
- To be a Service Recipient, you must be an adult who is homebound or has disabilities
- For both the Senior Companions and the clients utilizing the services you must be a resident of Jackson or Clay County.
VOLUNTEER ROLE OPPORTUNITIES
- Administrative support positions
- Station supervisors to help coordinate small groups of Senior Companions
- In-service speakers with information in the field of aging, including health and supportive services for seniors
- Advisory Council members
- Jackson and Clay County residents interested in becoming a Senior Companion volunteer may apply for either a stipend position ($2.65 per hour with limited compensation for transportation and lunch) or a non-stipend position (limited compensation for transportation and lunch only): For both stipend and non-stipend positions, volunteers must: 1) clear a comprehensive background check with fingerprinting, 2) be willing to attend a 40 hour, two week training course before beginning in-home service and 3) be 55 or older. Stipend volunteers must meet the federal financial requirements of the Senior Companion Program.
- Assistance with planning and/or decorating for special events (Volunteer Recognition in June and Holiday Party in December).
- Entertainment for special events.
Click Here to read current Senior Companion Newsletters.
FUNDING PROVIDED BY:
Robert F. Bond
816-753-7039 ext 12
816-753-7039 ext 11